Requirement for the Political Science Major - 36 Credits
Required Major Core – 9 Credits
- POLS 0101 - American National Government
- POLS 0206 - Political Analysis
One of the following political theory courses
- POLS 0215 - American Political Thought
- POLS 0301 - Classical Political Thought
- POLS 0302 - Modern Political Thought
- POLS 0335 - Feminist Political Thought
- POLS 0340 - Politics and “The Family”
Required Major Concentration - 12-18 Credits
12 credits in one of the Political Science concentrations.18 credits for students pursuing Law interdisciplinary option or International Studies interdisciplinary option.
Required Electives - 9 -15 Credits
15 credits of additional political science course work. 9 credits of additional political science coursework for students pursuing the Law interdisciplinary option or International Studies interdisciplinary option.
For Selected Topics courses (
Students transferring from another college must complete a minimum of 18 credits in Political Science at Westfield State University.
The Department of Political Science encourages students to participate in internships. Students may apply up to 6 credits of internship toward the 36-credit major, 3 of which may be applied to the field of concentration. Up to 3 credits of internship may be applied toward the 18-credit minor. For details, see the department internship manual on the web page or pick up a copy in the department.
Courses examining cultures, societies, political systems and economies of the world, in their diversity and independence (12 credits;
- POLS 0209 - International Relations
- POLS 0210 - Comparative European Government
- POLS 0211 - Comparative Foreign Policy *
- POLS 0220 - International Law and Human Rights
- POLS 0224 - Politics of Developing Countries
- POLS 0230 - Asian Politics
- POLS 0231 - Latin American Politics
- POLS 0305 - American Foreign Policy
- POLS 0323 - Selected Topics in Political Science
- POLS 0397 - Political Science Internship
- POLS 0399 - Independent Study
Additional Graduation Requirements
All students must meet the