Requirement for the Political Science Major - 36 Credits
Required Major Core – 9 Credits
- POLS 0101 - American National Government
- POLS 0206 - Political Analysis
One of the following political theory courses
- POLS 0215 - American Political Thought
- POLS 0301 - Classical Political Thought
- POLS 0302 - Modern Political Thought
- POLS 0335 - Feminist Political Thought
- POLS 0340 - Politics and “The Family”
- ** Additional theory courses may qualify with department chair approval
International Studies, INTERDISCIPLINARY OPTION Concentration - 18 credits
In addition to the four required courses under
- CRJU 0335 - Comparative Criminal Justice Systems
- ECON 0303 - Economics of Development
- ECON 0318 - International Economics
- GPS 0217 - Contemporary Global Issues
- HIST 0277 - Latin America Since 1800
- LFRE 0305 - Speaking and Writing French: Advanced Level
- COMM 0213 - Global Film Studies
- SOCI 0200 - Cultural Anthropology
- EGST 0220 - Religion. Gender and Society
- * Additional courses may count with department chair approval.
Required Electives - 9 Credits
9 credits of additional political science coursework.
For Selected Topics courses (POLS 0323) to count toward the field of concentration, the courses must be within that field.
Students transferring from another school must complete a minimum of 18 credits in Political Science at Westfield State University.
The Department of Political Science encourages students to participate in internships. Students may apply up to 6 credits of internships toward the 36-credit major, 3 of which may be applied toward the 18-credit minor. For details, see the department internship manual on from the link https://www.westfield.ma.edu/images/uploads/political-science/Internship_Manual.pdf or pick up a copy in the department.
Additional Graduation Requirements
All students must meet the