Requirement for the Political Science Major - 36 Credits
Required Major Core – 9 Credits
- POLS 0101 - American National Government
- POLS 0206 - Political Analysis
One of the following political theory courses
- POLS 0215 - American Political Thought
- POLS 0301 - Classical Political Thought
- POLS 0302 - Modern Political Thought
- POLS 0335 - Feminist Political Thought
- POLS 0340 - Politics and “The Family”
Required Major Concentration - 12-18 Credits
12 credits in one of the Political Science concentrations.18 credits for students pursuing Law interdisciplinary option or International Studies interdisciplinary option.
Required Electives - 9 -15 Credits
15 credits of additional political science course work. 9 credits of additional political science coursework for students pursuing the Law interdisciplinary option or International Studies interdisciplinary option.
For Selected Topics courses (
Students transferring from another college must complete a minimum of 18 credits in Political Science at Westfield State University.
The Department of Political Science encourages students to participate in internships. Students may apply up to 6 credits of internship toward the 36-credit major, 3 of which may be applied to the field of concentration. Up to 3 credits of internship may be applied toward the 18-credit minor. For details, see the department internship manual on the web page or pick up a copy in the department.
International Studies, INTERDISCIPLINARY OPTION
In addition to the 4 required courses under
- CRJU 0335 - Comparative Criminal Justice Systems
- ECON 0303 - Economics of Development
- ECON 0318 - International Economics
- GARP 0217 - Global Issues of the Future
- HIST 0277 - Latin America Since 1800
- LFRE 0305 - Speaking and Writing French: Advanced Level
- COMM 0213 - Global Film Studies
- COMM 0306 - International Communication
- SOCI 0200 - Cultural Anthropology
- EGST 0220 - Religion. Gender and Society
Additional Graduation Requirements
All students must meet the