This Emergency Guidebook was designed to give members of the Westfield State University community a ready reference on how to respond in case of an emergency situation on or near the campus. Campus safety is a responsibility we all share. All of us play a critical role in keeping students, faculty, staff and visitors safe on campus. Here’s how you can do your part:
• Plan ahead. The time to think about what you would do in an emergency is before you are involved in one. There are significant differences among potential threats which will impact the decisions you make and the actions you take. By beginning a process of learning about these specific threats, you are preparing yourself to act in an emergency. Take the time to read through these procedures and consider how you would respond.
• If you see something, say something. When you report crimes, suspicious behaviors, and safety concerns to Public Safety, you help to keep us all safe. Program 413-572-5262 into your cell phone and don’t hesitate to make a report.
• Always carry your Campus-Wide Identification card (CWID) and Emergency Card. In an emergency, you may find yourself locked out of your building. You may also need to identify yourself to emergency responders. Also carry your Emergency Card - use this quick reference card to locate important contact information in an emergency.
• Subscribe to the Emergency Notification System (ENS). The ENS is the best and quickest way to get information in an emergency. Emergency situations develop and change very quickly. The ENS keeps you informed as things change.
For a PDF copy of the guidebook: Click here.
One or more of the following methods may be used to notify the campus community of various emergency events that may impact students, staff, faculty, and visitors on the campus.
• Emergency Notification System (ENS): Important emergency alerts, notifications, and updates are sent to all registered devices, including cell phone and email accounts when there is an immediate threat to the safety of the University community. Students, parents, and employees may opt into the Emergency Notification System. Go to the home page of the Westfield State University website at www.westfield.ma.edu to signup for the alert. It’s that simple!
• Website Home Page: Critical information is posted on University home page at www.westfield.ma.edu and may be viewed both internally (students, faculty and staff) and externally (parents, alumni and other constituents) .The University will provide updates to the community as needed.
• Campus Siren and Public Address System: This system may also be utilized during an emergency. When you hear the siren:
- listen carefully for the subsequent instructions
- follow up by checking your e-mail and/or text messages