EMT & SSTA LLC / MRC
To educate and train entry level Basic EMT(s) in the provision of high quality EMS services according to National, State, Regional and local Protocols, Policies and Procedures.
Edward Mello Jr., EMT IC and Director of Homeland Preparedness
Click here to learn more about the Medical Reserve Corp.
Joel Perkins, Paramedic IC and Director of EMS
- To achieve greater than 85% success rate on Massachusetts State Basic EMT Examinations.
- To achieve greater than 85% success rate in placement of graduates in EMS related professions for those seeking such placements.
- Establish an open network of local, regional and state EMS providers and provide those agents opportunities, during the course, for recruitment of desirable students.
- To use the National Standard DOT Curriculum Objectives as Guidelines to ensure students understand basic knowledge and skills needed to provide high quality EMS services to victims of illness or injury.
- To use the Massachusetts State OEMS Basic EMT Course Curriculum and State Wide Treatment Protocols as Guidelines to ensure students understand basic knowledge and skills needed to provide high quality EMS services to victims of illness or injury.
- To use current theory and practical guidelines for Adult Education and Training to ensure optimum facilitation of the learning process for all EMT Basic Candidates taking the program.
- Achieve Massachusetts State Office of Emergency Medical Services' Accreditation for the EMT Basic Program at WSU.
- Increase awareness of "Emergency Preparedness" on the WSU Campus.
- Provide low cost, effective first aid training to the campus community.
- Provide Instructor Level training in American Red Cross Programs to the campus community.
Future Interests and Plans
- Promote awareness of "Volunteerism" in the American Red Cross departments of Safety Services and Disaster.
- Promote awareness of "Volunteerism" in the American Heart Association's Emergency Cardiac Care Program.
- Develop a "Mentorship" program for the Westfield State University community in the areas of: Medicine, Nursing, Physician's Assistant, Pre-hospital Emergency Medical Care (Paramedic, Intermediate and Basic Level).
The Division of Graduate & Continuing Education, Departments of Academic Affairs and Movement Science, Sports and Leisure Studies, the Life Long Learning Program and the WSU Health Services Area sponsors the Westfield State University EMT Program (WSUEMT).