Satisfy your curiosity through undergraduate research and creative activity, and apply the knowledge you gained through classroom experience to foster deeper learning and discovery.
By connecting you with faculty through research and creative activity, you will develop a greater understanding of process, research, outcomes, and how to apply your knowledge to real-world activities.
Through CURCA, you can apply for funding to support your research or for travel to conferences to present your work, as an individual or with a group. Professors also have funding to support research and creative activities to complete with students.
Some examples of the work being done through CURCA include:
Students competing in the Model United Nations simulations at Harvard University, McGill University, and at the United Nations in New York
English majors presenting research and creative work at the Sigma Tau Delta English Honor Society international convention
Athletic Training students traveling to a national convention in Denver to present their research
A student delivering a paper alongside professors from around the globe at the Florence University of the Arts conference in Florence, Italy
Faculty are adding more opportunities for undergraduate research and creative activity into classes at all levels of the curriculum, particularly in the First-year and Second-year-level classes, so that students get early exposure and are better situated to take on more research and creative projects in their third and fourth years of education at Westfield State.
The campus holds an annual Celebration of Undergraduate Research and Creative Activity each spring to highlight the great work being done by students and faculty.
- 12 February 2018: CURCA Workshop, 3-4:30 pm, Wilson 202.
- 6 March 2018: CURCA Workshop, 3:30-5:00 pm, Wilson 202.
- 21 March 2018: CURCA Coffee Hour, Faculty Center.
- 26 March 2018: Abstract Writing Workshop, 3:30-5:00 pm, Wilson 202.
- 4 April 2018: Abstract Writing Workshop, 4:00-5:30 pm, Wilson 202.
- 4-7 April 2018: NCUR 2018, Univ. of Central Oklahoma.
- 9 April 2018: Poster Workshop, 3:30-5:00 pm, Wilson 202.
- 18 April 2018: Poster Workshop, 4:00-5:30 pm, Wilson 202.
- 27 April 2018: 24th MURC @ UMass Amherst.
- 4 May 2018: 3rd Annual Celebration of Undergraduate Research and Creative Activity.
Celebrations & Conferences
Well situated for an exciting future at CURCA
Westfield State University has invested resources into CURCA to carry us into the next stage of local, regional, national, and international scholarship and creativity. Here on campus, a future space for the center, which will be on the mezzanine level of Ely Library, is currently in the design stage.