Westfield State University graduates over 1,000 new professionals annually in over 30 academic disciplines. The Career Center will customize a recruitment plan to meet your needs and get targeted results.
Post an Opportunity
Westfield State University is on the Handshake Recruiting Platform, a single website for campus recruiting.
- Post jobs and internships with no fee to over 1,000 schools reaching over 6M students.
- Register for career fairs
- Manage your on-campus recruiting activities
Host On-Campus Interviews
For on-campus interviews, we offer a prescreening process that allows the employer to select candidates to interview. We forward the resumes for your perusal, and prepare the interview schedule.
We encourage you to set up the interview dates four weeks in advance.
Contact us to discuss on-campus interviews.
Industry-Specific Networking Nights
Join us as a professional at one of our industry-specific networking nights. You will have the opportunity to connect with current students seeking advice on entering the field in this casual environment. For more information, contact Dino Innarelli - email@example.com.
Internship Information for Employers
More than 400 businesses, schools or organizations host Westfield State University students for approximately 8 to 40 hours per week, in paid or unpaid positions that relate directly to their individual academic program and career interests.
CREATING AN INTERNSHIP PROGRAM
If you have never hosted an intern before and would like some guidance on how to effectively do this, we have created a guide to help you in the process. If you are hoping to develop a virtual internship program, we have outlined some key factors for consideration in our Designing a Virtual Internship Program guide. Please don't hesitate to call us (413-572-5206) with any questions or to set up a meeting to discuss this further.
INTERNSHIP CREDIT POLICY
Students can earn up to 15 college credits for their internship experiences. Students must complete 120 hours for every three credits that they receive. Most students will complete a 3- or 6-credit internship (8 hrs./week or 16 hrs./week) with many seeking paid, full-time opportunities during the summer. If a student is interested in receiving academic credit, the student will be responsible for providing the employer with the necessary paperwork.
As an Internship Site Supervisor, you will be asked to provide the student with an orientation to your organization's goals and the responsibilities of the position, to integrate the student's learning objectives with the job specifications, and accommodate an on-site visit by a representative from the University. Supervisors will also be asked to assess the student's performance through standard evaluation forms, which are an integral part of the student's grade. Westfield State University complies with the U.S. Department of Labor’s Wage and Hour Division (WHD) and the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) regarding unpaid internships.
The National Association of Colleges and Employers has identified the following criteria that internship postings must meet:
1. The experience must be an extension of the classroom: a learning experience that provides for applying the knowledge gained in the classroom. It must not be simply to advance the operations of the employer or be the work that a regular employee would routinely perform.
2. The skills or knowledge learned must be transferable to other employment settings.
3. The experience has a defined beginning and end, and a job description with desired qualifications.
4. There are clearly defined learning objectives/goals related to the professional goals of the student's academic coursework.
5. There is supervision by a professional with expertise and educational and/or professional background in the field of experience.
6. There is routine feedback by the experienced supervisor.
7. There are resources, equipment, and facilities provided by the host employer that support learning objectives/goals.
Recruiting Diverse Talent and Creating an Inclusive and Equitable Environment
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI) are vital to ensuring the long-term professional success and happiness of your employees. As you evaluate your recruitment strategies for reaching diverse talent, we encourage you to consider the following best practices:
- Demonstrate your organization's commitment to DEI by offering mentorship and special interests groups for employees as well as hiring diverse professionals at all levels of the organization: from leadership to entry-level.
- Reduce barriers by offering paid internships that don't restrict applicants by GPA requirements or a traditional workday structure. Most students are unable to pursue unpaid internships due to financial concerns and may benefit from hybrid internship options.
- Ensure that your recruitment team is trained in unconscious bias and has scrutinized what your organization means by “professionalism” and “culture fit.”
- Update your Handshake profile with examples of how your organization supports an inclusive and equitable work environment (i.e. affinity groups, mentoring programs, community engagement efforts, social justice benefits).
- Recruit diverse employees who are University alums to assist in recruitment efforts and cultivating relationships with faculty and student groups
- Evaluate if your physical space is built with universal design principles and/or equipped with adaptive equipment to accommodate candidates with disabilities
- Call (413-572-5206) or email us about participating in University-sponsored diversity events
- Sponsoring a diversity initiative (lunch, reception, etc.)
- Partner with affinity and academic student clubs to co-sponsor events, professional development workshops, company visits, or case scenario competitions. Student affinity clubs at Westfield State University include:
- Black Student Union (BSU)
- Christian Fellowship
- International and Intercultural Club
- Intervarsity Christian Group
- Jewish Student Organization (JSO)
- Latino Association for Empowerment (LAFE)
- Multicultural Student Association (MSA)
- Muslim Student Organization (MSO)
- Newman Club
- Pagan Awareness Club
- Fostering a Culture of Empowerment and Success (FACES)
- Positive inclusion of Everyone Creates Educational Success (pIeCEs)
- Queer Straight Alliance (QSA)
- Westfield State Veterans Association
Register for a Career Fair
If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to call us (details below)!
The Career Center assists employers in their efforts to connect with prospective employees through career fairs. We will host virtual career fairs throughout the 2021-2022 academic year:
Government & Criminal Justice Job Fair
1:00 pm - 4:00 pm
Job & Internship Fair
Wednesday, March 23, 2022
2:00 pm - 5:00 pm
To register for these fairs, please log in or create an account with Handshake, click on Fairs then search for Westfield State University. Once you complete the career fair registration, you will receive a confirmation email. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to call (413-572-5206) or email us!
Schedule an Information Table
Request an information table in our high-traffic Commuter Cafe. We will supply you with a table and two chairs at no cost to connect with faculty, staff, and students who visit Wilson Hall for classes or lunch. While we recommend between the hours of 11 am - 1 pm, you are welcome to schedule the visit for what works best for your organization.
Social Media for Employers - Engagement and Promotion
Enhance your organization’s visibility and promote opportunities through our various social media channels! We have a very active and ever-expanding social media presence and are happy to team up with your company in creative ways.
Connect with us on social media:
- LinkedIn- Join our WSU Careers Group on LinkedIn to connect with students, alumni and staff
- Twitter - @wsucareers
- Instagram - @westfieldstatecareercenter
Instagram Account Takeovers
Take over our Instagram account for a day! Whether it’s a recruiter or an alum, this is a great way to share what a typical day is like and provide tips on careers in a variety of field. Contact Jennifer Dobiecki for more information - firstname.lastname@example.org.
Stay tuned for additional campaign announcements!
Student Club Events and Presentations
Connect with our student clubs to facilitate presentations, sponsor events or business competitions as well as promote professional development opportunities.