Requirement for the Political Science Major - 36 Credits
Required Major Core – 9 Credits
- POLS 0101 - American National Government
- POLS 0206 - Political Analysis
One of the following political theory courses
- POLS 0215 - American Political Thought
- POLS 0301 - Classical Political Thought
- POLS 0302 - Modern Political Thought
- POLS 0335 - Feminist Political Thought
- POLS 0340 - Politics and “The Family”
- ** Additional theory courses may qualify with department chair approval
LAW, Interdisciplinary option concentration - 18 credits
In addition to the four required courses under the
- PHIL 0103 - Symbolic Logic I
- CRJU 0302 - Criminal Law
- CRJU 0308 - Rights of the Convicted
- CRJU 0320 - Criminal Procedure: Fourth Amendment Rights of the Accused
- CRJU 0321 - Criminal Procedure: Fifth and Sixth Amendment
- BIOL 0233 - Environmental Legislation
- MGMT 0241 - Business Law I
- COMM 0307 - Communication Law
- SOCI 0330 - Sociology of Law
- GPS 0225 - Legal Issues in Zoning and Planning
- * Additional courses may count with department chair approval
Required Electives - 9 Credits
9 credits of additional political science course work.
For Selected Topics courses (POLS 0323) to count toward the field of concentration, the courses must be within that field.
Students transferring from another school must complete a minimum of 18 credits in Political Science at Westfield State University.
The Department of Political Science encourages students to participate in internships. Students may apply up to 6 credits of internships toward the 36-credit major, 3 of which may be applied toward the 18-credit minor. For details, see the department internship manual on from the link https://www.westfield.ma.edu/images/uploads/political-science/Internship_Manual.pdf or pick up a copy in the department.
Additional Graduation Requirements
All students must meet the