Requirement for the Political Science Major - 36 Credits
Required Major Core – 9 Credits
- POLS 0101 - American National Government
- POLS 0206 - Political Analysis
One of the following political theory courses
- POLS 0215 - American Political Thought
- POLS 0301 - Classical Political Thought
- POLS 0302 - Modern Political Thought
- POLS 0335 - Feminist Political Thought
- POLS 0340 - Politics and “The Family”
Required Major Concentration - 12-18 Credits
12 credits in one of the Political Science concentrations.18 credits for students pursuing Law interdisciplinary option or International Studies interdisciplinary option.
Required Electives - 9 -15 Credits
15 credits of additional political science course work. 9 credits of additional political science coursework for students pursuing the Law interdisciplinary option or International Studies interdisciplinary option.
For Selected Topics courses (
Students transferring from another college must complete a minimum of 18 credits in Political Science at Westfield State University.
The Department of Political Science encourages students to participate in internships. Students may apply up to 6 credits of internship toward the 36-credit major, 3 of which may be applied to the field of concentration. Up to 3 credits of internship may be applied toward the 18-credit minor. For details, see the department internship manual on the web page or pick up a copy in the department.
LAW, Interdisciplinary OPTION
In addition to the 4 required courses under the
- PHIL 0103 - Symbolic Logic I
- CRJU 0302 - Criminal Law
- CRJU 0308 - Rights of the Convicted
- CRJU 0320 - Criminal Procedure: Fourth Amendment Rights of the Accused
- CRJU 0321 - Criminal Procedure: Fifth and Sixth Amendment
- BIOL 0233 - Environmental Legislation
- MGMT 0241 - Business Law I
- COMM 0307 - Communication Law
- SOCI 0330 - Sociology of Law
- GARP 0225 - Legal Issues in Zoning and Planning
- HIST 0351 - U. S. Constitutional History Credits: 3
Additional Graduation Requirements
All students must meet the