You may choose to complete a Reading minor or use Reading as a concentration with the Liberal Studies major. If interested in this concentration or minor, you should schedule an appointment with one of the Education department literacy professors or the department chair. If you choose the concentration in Reading, you should also consult with your Liberal Studies advisor.
Students may choose to complete an 18-credit (6 course) Reading minor or use Reading as a concentration with the Liberal Studies major. Students interested in this concentration or minor should schedule an appointment with one of the Education department literacy professors or the department chair. If they choose the concentration in Reading, they should also consult with their Liberal Studies advisor.
Students may choose from the following courses in consultation with a literacy Education advisor. Specific course descriptions should be consulted to determine pre- and co-requisites of each course.
- EDUC 0304 - Teaching Writing: PreK-6
- EDUC 0305 - Teaching Writing, Children's Literature, and Disciplinary Literacy
- EDUC 0309 - Children's Literature
- EDUC 0317 - Apprenticeship in Literacy Practices
- EDUC 0318 - Reading in the Content Areas
- EDUC 0333 - Field Experience in Reading
- EDUC 0334 - Word Analysis and Comprehension Strategies in Reading
- EDUC 0335 - Literacy Instruction for English Language Learners (with Apprenticeship)
- EDUC 0370 - Language and Communication Development and Intervention
* EDUC 0309 is required in the 15-credits area of Liberal Studies for Early Childhood majors. These students should consult with a Reading and a Liberal Arts advisor to determine whether this course may by used in the Reading concentration.
** EDUC 0370 and 0377 are required within the Special Education major. Subsequently, they do not contribute to the Reading concentration or minor for students in this major.