Reminder: August 1 is the deadline for students to submit their proof of COVID-19 vaccination for the Fall 2021 semester. For information on the vaccine mandate and helpful FAQs for the semester, click here.

Globe against sky

FAQs for Students

How does the college structure organize departments and academic programs?

The College Deans listed below take primary responsibility for advocating for and supporting academic departments and their students.  Below is a breakdown of responsibilities of each College.

College of Education, Health, and Human Services

Departments and academic programs:
Business (Accounting, Marketing, Finance, Economics and Management), Criminal Justice, Education, Health Sciences, Movement Science, Nursing, Social Work
College of Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences

Departments and academic programs:
Art, Communication, English (incl. Theatre), Ethnic and Gender Studies, Geography, Planning & Sustainability, History, Language and Culture Studies, Liberal Studies, Music, Philosophy, Political Science, Sociology
College of Mathematics and Sciences

Departments and academic programs: Biology, Chemical & Physical Sciences, Computer Science, Environmental Science, Mathematics, Psychology
College of Graduate and Continuing Education

Departments and academic programs:
All graduate programs and students; including post-bac and undergraduate students enrolled through CGCE, online undergraduate completion programs, non-credit and extension programming, winter and summer academic programming, early college programming, ROTC, the Military Community Excellence Center, the Center for Teacher Education

No. Processes and procedures for both undergraduate and graduate students enrolled through CGCE will not change at this time.  CGCE students should continue to register for courses through CGCE, and see their CGCE faculty advisors and CGCE advising staff.

*The information that follows pertains to full-time “Day” undergraduate students enrolled through all colleges, again with the exception of CGCE.*

If you are a double major, you will have two advisors and two department chairs. If an issue arises within a particular program, the department chair would contact the appropriate College Dean. 

Exploratory students who have not indicated any specific disciplinary interest on their admissions application will be housed in the College of Arts, Humanities, and Social Sciences.  A student who has indicated multiple disciplinary interests on his/her admissions application will be housed in the College that is closest to his/her primary academic interest. 

A student may be undeclared because he/she is not accepted into his/her first choice major.  These students will be assigned to a College on a case-by-case basis.  For example, a student who is not accepted into a major in which students are allowed to transfer at a later date may be placed into the College of first choice major and monitored for progress.  Students who will not be able to transfer into the first major of choice, having been declined admission initially, will be placed in a College reflective of his/her second choice or related major.  If you are an undeclared student and interested in moving to another college, please see the dean of that college.

Forms that previously required the signature of the Dean of Undergraduate Studies or the Associate Dean of Academic Achievement will now be signed by your College Dean, including the following:

  • Course by special arrangement
  • Independent study
  • Late withdrawal
  • Grade appeals
  • Academic dishonesty
  • Application for Enrollment Over 18 Credits

Please contact the Dean of Undergraduate Studies for Core curriculum substitution approval.

Please contact your department chair or your College Dean if you are unable to reach your professor to obtain a signature on the Course Withdrawal form.

Once ADD/DROP has ended, please contact your College Dean to add or drop a course.

If you have questions about the requirements for Academic Honors or publication of the Dean’s List, please contact the Dean of Undergraduate Studies.

All students should be in close contact with their advisors and should seek them out for advice or to express concerns.  If the advisor is not available, students should contact the department chair.  The department chair will suggest the next course of action, including whether a particular student should meet with the College Dean.

If you are concerned about a class, please first always speak to the professor.  If that is not possible, contact the department chair.  If you are not able to reach the chair, or are not satisfied with your conversation with the chair, you may then see the dean of your college. 

If you have a concern about an interaction with a faculty or staff member either inside or outside of the classroom, you should contact your department chair. If you have a concern about an interaction with your department chair, you should contact the College Dean.

You will find the necessary forms on the webpage for the Office of the Registrar, and then you will meet with your advisor and the department chair to complete the paperwork. Remember that to change your major, you will need the signature from the chair of the department you are leaving, as well as the signature of the chair for the department you are joining. To declare a minor, you only need the signature of the department chair in which the minor is housed. The Office of the Registrar will process all forms after the department chair(s) sign them.  

You should always meet with your advisor during the advising period and then get your registration PIN from your advisor.

The department chair approves all course transfers using the Transfer Course Permission Form. Remember that this form must be completed before you register for the class.

If you wish to change academic advisors, please contact your department chair.