Those of us at Westfield State who work with students know how valuable a resource and support parents and other caregivers are to college students. We find that the students whose parents are actively aware and maintain open communication lines with their sons and daughters, are the ones who are the most likely to succeed academically, make wise and appropriate choices, and refrain from engaging in high-risk behaviors such as alcohol abuse.

Listed below are some links to websites that you might find helpful and informative:

  • College Parents of America
    "What is College Parents of America? College Parents of America (CPA) is the only national membership association dedicated to helping parents prepare and put their children through college easily, economically and safely. Today, college parents represent an estimated 12 million households. An additional 24 million households are currently saving and otherwise preparing children for college. CPA is a resource, an advisor and an advocate working on behalf of these millions of families."
    (Parents, Families, Friends of Lesbians and Gays): (www.pflag.org) an excellent site offering good general information about issues facing GLBT individuals and how their loved ones may assist and advocate for them.
  • A College Education for Individuals with Autism: An article for parents from the OASIS@MAPP, the online Asperger's resource website.
  • Health-Related Resources:  A great site for getting information about all sorts of topics that are especially relevant for college students
  • Screening for Mental Health
    An online screening program assessing depression, anxiety, alcohol abuse, and eating disorders for WSU students only
  • NIMH Depression and Women
  • NIMH Depression and Men
  • NIMH Anxiety Disorders
  • NIMH Autism Spectrum Disorders
  • NIMH Bi-Polar Disorder
  • WSU Rape & Sexual Assault Information

Search for Substance Abuse Services
From the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, Department of Public Health

How can the Counseling Center help parents?
We are available for consultation to parents by phone, by appointment or by email. We invite parents to call if they have any questions about how their son or daughter may obtain services at the Counseling Center. Detailed information about the Counseling Center Services may be found on the Counseling Services page. We are also available for questions about how parents may assist their sons and daughters who may be struggling with a specific problem or if they are in need of specific services. As well, we can help parents secure referrals to services outside of the college for their sons and daughters.

We are not able to talk with parents in any way about their son's or daughter's participation in counseling without the student's written consent for release of information. Confidentiality is a very important part of the counseling relationship we establish with students. 

Needing information about the use of anti-depressant medication for treatment of depression? The Information on Anti-Depressant Medication webpage offers information presented by a psychiatrist with an expertise in treating college students. The most commonly asked questions about depression and when anti-depressant medication are answered.