Massachusetts State Law G.L. c.15A, ß 18 requires that all full-time and part-time students (part-time means a student participating in at least 75% of the full-time curriculum, ie. 9 credits or more for undergraduate students) attending an institution of higher education in the state must be enrolled in a Student Health Insurance Program OR in a plan of comparable coverage that meets established minimum benefit guidelines. Any eligible student that is not covered by a qualifying health insurance program may obtain coverage through Blue Cross Blue Shield Student Health Insurance Plan, which is an alternative program arranged by the University and administered through University Health Plans, Inc.
- Annual coverage begins on August 1 and ends July 31 of the next calendar year.
- Spring term coverage begins on January 1 and ends July 31 of the same calendar year.
All eligible students will need to either enroll in OR waive out of the Westfield State Student Health Insurance Plan online at www.universityhealthplans.com. This must be done prior to the start of every academic year (or spring term if applicable). The deadline for the fall is Sept 30; deadline for spring Feb 28. Students enrolling in to plan will be charged once enrollment form is complete; if the enrollment form is not submitted by the deadline, the student's account will be placed on hold until form is completed. Failure to waive out of the offered student plan will result in student automatically being enrolled into plan. Once the student is enrolled, there will be no refund.
Complete the following steps:
- Go to www.universityhealthplans.com
- Click on Westfield State University
- On the left hand side Menu, click on the Waiver or Enrollment Form
- Fill in all required information (if a piece of required information is missing, your waiver or enrollment will NOT be accepted.)
- Submit the form by clicking ‘Apply.’ If the form is accepted, you will receive immediate confirmation of your submission as well as an email confirmation for your record.
Please note, all full time day students not enrolled in the Westfield State University Student Health Insurance Plan will still be eligible for care provided by Health Services regardless of their Health Insurance carrier.
University Health Plans also offers the opportunity to enroll in a Dental and/or Vision plan on a VOLUNTARY basis but it is not required insurance. To learn more about these optional plans, please select one of these plans on the left hand side menu of University Health Plans website.
For more information about the student health insurance program, visit www.universityhealthplans.com or call 1-800-437-6448.