Graduate & Continuing Education Advising

Advising, in all forms, is an important part of your time here at Westfield State University. Whether you need help picking classes, want to change your major, or are looking for career advice, the CGCE can connect you to someone who can help!

CGCE students are strongly encouraged to connect with their academic advisor every semester. Your academic advisor can help you pick classes and has expertise in the field you are pursuing. They are an extremely valuable resource and you should check in with them frequently.

Who Is My Advisor?

Common Questions

When should I meet with my advisor?
There are many times when it is appropriate to meet with your advisor, such as:

  • Before you begin your first semester at Westfield State
  • Each semester before you register for classes
  • If you are having trouble in a class or with your major
  • If you would like to take a class elsewhere and transfer it in
  • If you have questions about licensing requirements
  • If you’re interested in going to graduate school

What if I'm having trouble connecting with my advisor?
Students who are having trouble connecting with their advisor should contact the CGCE Main Office at (413) 572-8020 or We can help facilitate a meeting between you and your advisor or, if necessary, help you pick classes.

Where can I go if I need advice about my career path?
Students can always speak to their academic advisor for information about working in the field or going to graduate school.

Students who need more direct help with applying to jobs, constructing a resume, preparing for an interview, or finding networking opportunities, should contact the campus Career Center at (413) 572-5206 or

I'd like to change my major, who should I speak to?
Students who would like to change their major are encouraged to talk to their current advisor and the advisor for the major they wish to change into.

Changing majors can be a big decision and will affect your program of study, potentially requiring you to complete additional credits. Students can all process a “What If” degree audit through DegreeWorks in their myWestfield account.