Westfield State University Home

College of Arts and Sciences

Start your journey—apply today.

Welcome to the College of Arts and Sciences at Westfield State University

Welcome to the College of Arts and Sciences at Westfield State University, a center of academic excellence. With a commitment to fostering leadership and innovation, our faculty and staff prepare students to excel in their chosen fields. Renowned regionally and nationally, our graduates are equipped with the skills and knowledge to navigate a dynamic professional landscape. Through internship programs, engaging practicums, and impactful capstone projects, we ensure our students are ready for the challenges of the modern workplace.

At the heart of our mission is a dedication to social, political, and criminal justice reform, as well as addressing prevalent mental health challenges in our community and beyond. By serving our community and nurturing leadership in a diverse workplace, we empower our students to make a difference. The College of Arts and Sciences is where students start on a journey to fulfill their true potential and become catalysts for positive change.

Meet the Interim Dean of the College of Arts and Sciences

Dr. Sabine Klein, Interim Dean of the College of Arts and Sciences

Dr. Sabine Macris Klein has been appointed as Interim Dean of the College of Arts and Sciences. Dr. Klein has been teaching in the English Department and the Theatre Arts Program at Westfield State University since 2004. For the past 7 years, she has served as the Coordinator of the Theatre Arts Program and taught courses focused on drama and theatre history. She directs plays and musicals on campus and helps produce and organize the stage performances of the Theatre Arts Program.

Dr. Klein earned her PhD in Theatre from The City University of New York Graduate School and University Center. Dr. Klein spent a year of her doctoral studies at the Graduate Program in Theatre at the University of Mainz, Germany. Her research interests have centered around the working conditions of women in German theatre history of both the early 20th century and the 18th century. Her work about early images of America and Americans in German drama appears as a chapter in The American as Foreigner on Stage: Portraits of the United States in International Drama. Dr. Klein has presented about the theatre work of eighteenth-century German actress-manager Caroline Neuber at numerous conferences, including the German Studies Association, the Northeast American Society for Eighteenth-Century Studies, New England Theatre Conference, Northeast Modern Language Association, and the American Society for Theatre Research.

Dr. Klein served two terms as President of the Board for the New England Theatre Conference between 2011 and 2017 and served as Chair of the College and University Division of the board from 2007-2009. In these roles, she helped oversee the publication of The New England Theatre Journal, planned annual conventions and scholarly panels, and helped oversee board development, elections, and by-laws revisions. Dr. Klein has served on several Westfield State University committees including the Special Committee on University Planning, the Long-Range Planning Committee, the Promotion Committee, and the Honors Advisory Committee.

Frequently Asked Questions

Who do I speak to about an issue I have with my class(s)?

If you had extenuating circumstances during the semester to justify a late withdrawal, we recommend that you get in touch with your professor and the Director of the Course Achievement, Retention, and Engagement (CARE) Center to facilitate the withdrawal process. An email approval from the professor or a late withdrawal form signed by your professor, Chair of the Department under which the course falls, and your College Dean are required.

Who do I talk to if I have concerns about my performance in a class or my final grade?
  • If you are struggling academically the best approach is to speak with your professor sooner rather than later. Initiating a conversation can occur via email, telephone or in person (before and after class or during their office hours). We recommend that students attempt to meet with the professor in person or virtually via Zoom so as to allow for clear and open communication.
  • If you and your professor determine that you are unlikely to earn a passing grade, you may request withdrawal in consultation with your academic advisor.
How do I appeal a grade?
  • First and foremost, be advised that a grade appeal process can only begin after the final grades of the semester have been posted by the Registrar. If you believe that a grade you have received is unfair or does not reflect your performance in a class, your first course of action would be to speak with the professor to understand how the grade was calculated and if you missed any work.
  • If you still disagree with the professor, you can discuss this with the Department Chair for the Department under which the course is taught.
  • If the issue is not resolved, the student can file a formal grade appeal with their College Dean.
  • Be aware that a formal grade appeal must be filed within a limited time period. See the university policy for grade appeals at https://www.westfield.ma.edu/documents/1110gradeappeal.
If I cannot reach my academic adviser or my course professor, who do I contact?

We recommend reaching out to the Chair of the Department the course falls under if you cannot reach your professor or academic advisor. If you belong to other programs on campus such as the LEAD Scholars Program or Banacos, reach out to your adviser in these programs as well.

I think I’m going to fail a class, what are my options?

​​​​​​Your first action is to speak with the professor to inquire about your current standing in the course and ask about any options for making up missed work or opportunities for extra credit. Other options are:

  • Request an Incomplete grade to give yourself more time to do a better job on outstanding assignments. Note that the decision to issue a grade of Incomplete is at the discretion of the professor.
  • Speak with the Director of CARE Center about the option of a Course Withdrawal.
  • If there is a risk of failing multiple classes, you may consider taking a personal leave, which will grant you administrative withdrawal from all your classes. Contact the Director of the CARE Center.
What do I do if I need to miss a class?

If you miss class, you should directly contact your professors regarding your absence. The Office of the Dean of Students does not issue notices for class absences. It is important to communicate with your professors in all circumstances related to your attendance. However, in cases of serious illnesses, injuries, or hospitalizations where a student is unable to communicate directly, the Office of the Dean of Students will continue to liaise with faculty on the student's behalf.

Please reach out with any questions you have about the College of Arts and Sciences. We are happy to connect with you.

Campus Globe against cloudy blue sky

Contact Us

Sabine Klein, PhD
Interim Dean