We teach Mathematics differently
Our Mathematics Department focuses on creative classroom instruction and active learning. The Mathematics Department offers its students an energetic and dedicated faculty who find the world of mathematics exciting and challenging, and coursework that provides students with opportunities to experience the wonders of mathematics. Our courses are inquiry based, interactive and exploratory.
- Hands-on learning with activities and projects, portfolios, group work and cooperative learning
- Small department, with classes capped at 25 and a 1:7 faculty/student ratio
- We “go outside and play” with mathematics activities, such as sidewalk chalk mathematics
- You'll be writing about mathematics and reading and writing about mathematical literature
- You're encouraged to present at conferences and volunteer in the community
- Many faculty have developed customized course materials instead of using standard textbooks
The Westfield State Department of Mathematics supports students in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts in becoming active, competent mathematical thinkers who promote the central role of mathematics in the world around us. We are grounded in the liberal arts tradition; we develop our students’ understanding and appreciation of the role of mathematics in many other disciplines and the broad importance of the developments within mathematics itself. We offer students a diverse range of general-education courses that promote students’ skills in critical thinking, information literacy and analysis, integrative learning, and problem solving. We help our students thrive by teaching with supportive options that reach a broad range of learning and appeal to a variety of learning styles. We also offer robust intermediate and advanced coursework to prepare students for graduate study in advanced mathematics or careers in the actuarial sciences, statistics, education, data analysis, and newly-emerging fields such as data science.