Nursing majors integrate the University’s core requirements with additional courses in the humanities, physical and social sciences, providing you with a strong liberal arts foundation for professional nursing.
The nursing labs will help you transfer theoretical knowledge to direct nursing interventions, while a wide variety of health care and community agencies will serve as placements for your clinical practice.
Best Value program in Massachusetts
Simulation Learning Lab
Requirements for the Nursing Major
Nursing courses and science lab courses require a grade of "C" or better to remain in good standing - with the exception of NURS 0101, Introduction to Professional Nursing. Students may repeat only one clinical course with less than a "C" grade during their entire program.
- CHEM 0103 - Chemistry of the Life Sciences
- BIOL 0237 - Human Anatomy and Physiology I
- ENGL 0101 - Composition I: Rhetoric and Inquiry
- NURS 0100 - Introduction to Professional Nursing
- SOCI 0101 - Principles of Sociology
- MATH 0108 - Elementary Statistics
- NURS 0201 - Fundamentals of Professional Nursing Practice
- US History and Government Core Elective Credits: 3 Global Diversity Core Elective Credits: 3
- NURS 0312 - Nursing Care of the Adult and Older Adult I
- NURS 0335 - Pathophysiology and Pharmacology I
- SOCI 0321 - Sociology of Aging
- or GERO 0101 - Introduction to Gerontology Credits: 3
- Literary and Philosophical Analysis Elective Credits: 3
- NURS 0321 - Nursing Care of Children and Familes
- NURS 0322 - Nursing Care of Perinatal Women and Newborns
- NURS 0355 - Nursing Leadership
- Elective Credits: 3
- NURS 0350 - Advanced Principles of Professional Nursing
- NURS 0360 - Preparation for Professional Licensure
- NURS 0397 - Nursing Capstone and Clinical Internship
- Elective Credits: 3 Free electives, to reach 12 credits for the term (full-time status)
Due to the nature of securing clinical placement sites, all clinical laboratory experiences including off-campus sites are subject to change. Students are not allowed to self-select clinical sites and days.