For Art majors interested in a career in Art Criticism, Museum work or preparation for graduate study in Art History, the Art History major concentration (18 additional credits) offers broad-based training in Western and Non-Western Art.
If you've requested admission to the Art Major on your application form, applicants must successfully pass a portfolio review by the Art Department’s faculty.
For Art majors interested in a career in Art Criticism, Museum work or preparation for graduate study in Art History, the Art History concentration (18 additional credits) offers broad-based training in Western and Non-Western Art.
Requirements for Art Majors
- ART 0101 - First-Year Seminar
- ART 0103 - Drawing I
- ART 0104 - Design Fundamentals
- ART 0105 - Three-Dimensional Design
- ART 0106 - Art Survey: Prehistoric to Middle Ages
- ART 0107 - Art Survey: Renaissance to Present
- ART 0109 - Writing for Art and the Artist
- ART 0201 - Printmaking I
- ART 0204 - Pottery I
- ART 0205 - Sculpture I
- ART 0209 - Color Theory and Practice
- ART 0214 - Drawing II
- ART 0216 - Painting I
- ART 0311 - Painting II
- One Art elective Credits: 3 Two 300-level Art History Courses Credits: 6
One of the following:
** Students completing Art Teacher Licensure Programs must take ART 0108 Introduction to Computer Graphics as their art elective.
Art majors must complete a minimum of 27 credits of course work within the Art Department at Westfield State. Students are advised to consult their advisors for information on course sequencing and general core requirements.
Art majors intending to pursue graduate work beyond their major are advised to take additionally recommended studio courses of their choice. It is also advisable to include more than the minimum requirements in Art History.
Art History Concentration for Art Majors
- Art Studio Elective Credits: 3
- ART 0345 - Criticism
- 200-Level Art Class: 3 300-Level Art History Course Work: 9