Westfield State's Art majors focus on the techniques in the skills you want to master for a career in Art History, Fine Arts, Graphic Design, Teaching Certification or graduate study.
In the visual arts
The Art Major sequence of classes has been structured to develop a critical understanding of making art and understanding art in a variety of media through teaching technical skills as well as expanding and deepening creative ideas. These foundation classes are of critical significance as it provides each student a comprehensive background in color, form, structure, and design. The courses are suited to those students wishing to major in art, as well as those who wish to include studio art as part of their liberal arts education. The Art Major foundation classes lead students into the department's concentration specializations in the final two years of study.
A mandatory review of an Art major's artwork from the Art Major sequence of classes will occur at the end of an Art major's fall sophomore semester. Satisfactory completion of the portfolio review is required for all Art Majors that have completed 45 credits of University classes to continue as an Art Major. Students must pass the portfolio review to continue in the major. This in-person portfolio review by the Art Department's faculty will occur at the end of the semester during the week of finals. Students will have to submit their portfolio digitally before the Tuesday of Thanksgiving Break.
*The department's acceptance of the 60-credit transfer student's (junior standing) portfolio submission upon entering the University will meet the requirement of this class.
Requirements for Art Majors
- ART 0101 - First-Year Seminar
- ART 0103 - Drawing I
- ART 0104 - Design Fundamentals
- ART 0105 - Three-Dimensional Design
- ART 0106 - Art Survey: Prehistoric to Middle Ages
- ART 0107 - Art Survey: Renaissance to Present
- ART 0109 - Writing for Art and the Artist
- ART 0201 - Printmaking I
- ART 0204 - Ceramics I
- ART 0205 - Sculpture I
- ART 0209 - Color Theory and Practice
- ART 0214 - Drawing II
- ART 0216 - Painting I
- ART 0311 - Painting II
- One Art elective Credits: 3 Two 300-level Art History Courses Credits: 6
One of the following:
** Students completing Art Teacher Licensure Programs must take ART 0108 Introduction to Computer Graphics as their art elective.
Art majors are required to take ART 0106 and ART 0107, to satisfy the Appreciation of the Arts requirement of the common core.
Art majors must complete a minimum of 27 credits of course work within the Art Department at Westfield State. Students are advised to consult their advisors for information on course sequencing and general core requirements.
Art majors intending to pursue graduate work beyond their major are advised to take additionally recommended studio courses of their choice. It is also advisable to include more than the minimum requirements in Art History.
Additional Graduation Requirements
All students must meet the University Graduation Requirements and complete a common core of studies, distributed among the different academic areas as detailed in the Common Core.
- Developed capacity for critical, creative, investigative, and conceptual thinking.
- Ability to identify and solve visual and conceptual problems.
- Ability to present and communicate effectively, creatively, and critically across a range of form and media
- Generate a personal focus and contribute an independent voice to the world
- Be ready to work as professionals in art education; art history; design; fine arts; illustration and animation
- Refer to the fullest range of historical and contemporary art and design sources from across cultures and time
- Apply a wide range of research methods and technologies in gathering and analyzing information
- Engage effectively in individual and/or collaborative approaches to work