We specialize in the Student to Scientist Transition
Students in our Biology Program have a distinct advantage by choosing Westfield State. They are mentored throughout their education by hands-on faculty who are experts in many biology disciplines and can guide students in the direction of their curiosity and ambition.
All of our biology students are involved in undergraduate research, which gives them a distinct advantage in graduate school and careers. Students publish and present at conferences and are active on campus through the biology club, and professional development events where they meet biology alumni. We have state of the art labs, work spaces between the labs and faculty offices to encourage communication, and wheels on the tables and chairs to further encourage collaboration!
- All Biology students participate in Undergraduate research
- We host a charter of the national biology honor society, Beta Beta Beta
- You begin relevant course work and are in the labs from your first semester
- Our independent research students have 24-hour access to labs
- The biology major can be customized to prepare you for careers or medical/graduate school in a variety of disciplines including medicine, veterinary, biotechnology, ecology, and teaching.
- Compassionate and accomplished faculty
- Low student to faculty ratios
- Nationally recognized by the Bachelor's Degree Center for our tuition cost, alumni salary and student satisfaction.
- Opportunities for experience out of the classroom through internships, field trips, and community outreach.
The biology department at Westfield State University fosters the development of the scientific skills students need to address the challenges facing society in the 21st century, from climate change, to emerging diseases, to social justice.
We aim to provide our students with a broad foundation in the fundamental areas of biology, while also assisting them in their pursuit of advanced knowledge and skills in one or more sub-disciplines via courses, internships, and research opportunities. Our faculty strive to create an inclusive and active learning environment by applying a variety of pedagogical approaches that focus on student centered learning.
The vision of the Biology department at WSU is to prepare students of all backgrounds for a career in STEM fields by creating an inclusive, equitable learning environment that fosters student self-efficacy through exposure to content and research.