The signature pedagogy of social work education - the Practicum - brings academic knowledge to life, offering students the critical opportunity for application, integration, and socialization into social work roles.
The practicum education process is pivotal to launching competent professional social workers and is a partnership involving the Social Work Program, Practicum Education Program, Social Work Faculty and Staff, Community Partners, Practicum Instructors, and Social Work Students. Practicum experiences occur in a variety of settings, including child welfare, medical, educational, criminal justice, mental health, addiction, and a wide range of other settings where generalist and advanced clinical practice can be learned and applied. Students have the opportunity to work with many diverse ethnic and cultural groups and may work with individuals, families, groups, organizations, communities and governmental and non-governmental entities.
The Social Work Practicum Education Program at Westfield State University partners with organizations and programs that are in alignment with the NASW Code of Ethics, provide a range of learning opportunities, and demonstrate their commitment to student education by offering the skills, time, and knowledge of their staff to social work students.
The materials below provide useful resources for students applying for practicum placement, students currently in practicum, and for our Practicum Instructors. You may also contact the Practicum Education Program at any time - we welcome your questions as well as your ideas and suggestions to continue to strengthen our practicum education process.
Practicum Education Director
413-572-8405 or email@example.com
* Please read prior to selecting the appropriate application *
- Applications for Practicum are available December – May.
- The application must be downloaded and saved to your device prior to completing. DO NOT complete the application via the webpage.
- Once downloaded and saved, open the saved version for completion.
- Please utilize Acrobat/Adobe or equivalent PDFviewer when completing the application.
- Without completing the above steps, your application will not save properly nor will the information be viewable and/or accessible upon receipt.
- Specific instructions for the submission process are available and included at the beginning of each practicum application.
- Application for MSW Practicum
- Application for IBHC DMH RIZE Grant
- Application for BSW Practicum
- Application for Employment-Based Practicum
- Practicum Education Instructor Manual
- MSW Practicum Education Manual
- FAQ MSW Practicum Education
- BSW Practicum Education Manual
- FAQ BSW Practicum Education
- Central Region DCF Employment-Based Internship Guidelines 2021
- Western Region DCF Employment-Based Internship Guidelines 2021
- Tips for the Practicum Placement Interview Process
- Learning Agreement Guide, BSW & MSW Foundation Edition.
- Learning Agreement Guide, MSW Advanced Edition.
- Tips for Writing a SW Practicum Placement Resume
- Practicum Placement Resume Example
PRACTICUM DOCUMENTATION SYSTEM
IPT (Intern Placement Tracking) – our web-based system for students, practicum instructors, and faculty liaisons – easy access and completion of all practicum-related documentation.